Best Electronic Ear Protection For Shooting, Wearing earplugs or other hearing protection is something that should never be overlooked, especially if you like shooting sports or working in a noisy area. Therefore, ear protection is crucial. Focusing on features, performance, comfort, and durability, this article reviews the top electronic ear protection for shooting. We have you covered whether you are a seasoned shooter or just starting out. Let’s dig in and check out the best electronic shooting ear protection on the market today.
Best Electronic Ear Protection for Shooting in 2023: The Complete Guide. The tiny hairs down in your inner ear are destroyed by the percussive vibrations of each bullet. This might lead to a perpetual high-pitched ringing or buzzing sound.
Why you need hearing protection while shooting.
As a gun owner and amateur competitive shooter, I know hearing protection is crucial. Responsible gun owners recognize that safe gun usage requires a fair amount of range time and supervision. Competitive or defensive practice requires a lot of ammo. Due to this, your eardrums are regularly exposed to percussive explosions from your weapon and others at a range.
Wear hearing protection while shooting and when others are firing. Different caliber and barrel firearms create shock waves, explosions, and decibels that may harm hearing. Be prepared for noisy little firearms and silent big weapons. Gunshots are concussive explosions, so take this carefully.
Imagine smashing a gong or slamming two cymbals. That strong hit creates high-frequency eardrum reverberation. One bullet may rupture the cochlea and induce hearing loss or long-term tinnitus. To be clear, 85 dB (decibels) is the threshold over which hearing loss becomes noticeable. The typical 9mm pistol emits noise at 160db, and even suppressed weapons may create noise at 140db.
The Risk of Shooting without Ear Protection
If you shoot a weapon without protecting your ears properly, you run the risk of sustaining temporary or even permanent hearing loss. The first step toward successful hearing safety is developing an awareness of the dangers that come with being exposed to high decibel levels of noise.
What Makes the Best Electronic Ear Protection for Shooting?
In the quest for the best electronic ear protection for shooting, several factors come into play. These include noise reduction rating (NRR), comfort, ease of use, battery life, and additional features such as Bluetooth connectivity.
Evaluating Noise Reduction Rating (NRR)
NRR is a measure of how much a hearing protection device can reduce the surrounding noise level. A higher NRR means better protection, but it’s crucial to balance this with other factors, including comfort and situational awareness.
Our Top Picks
Top 5 Picks for the Best Electronic Ear Protection for Shooting
Now that we understand the crucial elements of quality ear protection, let’s delve into the top picks of electronic ear protection for shooting. We’ve evaluated these selections based on their NRR, comfort, features, and user reviews.
1. Walker’s Razor Slim
Are you in search of top-notch hearing protection for your shooting or hunting adventures? Look no further than the Walker’s Razor Slim Electronic Hearing Protection. This exceptional product combines cutting-edge technology with comfort, making it a must-have for enthusiasts.
- Amplifies ambient noise for situational awareness
- Volume control knob allows easy adjustment
- Padded headband for comfort
- Slim Design: The Razor Slim boasts a low-profile design, ensuring a comfortable fit, even when worn with a hat or helmet.
- Noise Reduction: With a noise reduction rating (NRR) of 23dB, it effectively reduces harmful noise levels.
- Clear Sound: Its omnidirectional microphones provide clear sound enhancement, allowing you to stay aware of your surroundings.
- Auto Shut-Off: The automatic shut-off feature preserves battery life when not in use.
- Ultra low-profile ear cups
- 23NRR Rating
- Two Omni-directional microphones
- Full dynamic range HD speakers for clear balanced sound
- Low noise/ frequency tuned for natural sound clarity
- Single-knob volume control
- Sound-activated compression circuit (SAC)
- 0.02 second response time
- Slim and comfortable design
- Enhanced noise reduction
- Crystal-clear sound quality
- Auto shut-off for battery conservation
- Limited battery life (approximately 600 hours)
- May not fit larger heads comfortably
Customer Opinions: Excellent sound reduction, great noise pass-through for voices. I could hear the range officer clearly when he was on the far end of the range talking normally. Also very comfortable to wear. See More
Conclusion: The Walker’s Razor Slim Electronic Hearing Protection is a standout choice for those seeking advanced hearing protection with exceptional comfort and sound quality. Don’t compromise on safety; invest in Walker’s today!
2. The Crowd Favorite: Walker’s Razor Quad Electronic Muffs
The Walker’s Razor Quad Electronic Muffs are an outstanding addition to any outdoor enthusiast’s gear collection, enhancing their experience with unrivaled sound quality and clarity. With its 4 Mic 360 Degree Sound Capture feature, the wearer can perceive their surroundings with remarkable accuracy, a significant advantage for hunters or range shooters. The advanced noise reduction rating ensures excellent hearing protection without compromising on sound directionality.
- High-quality sound: The quad microphone system ensures exceptional sound clarity.
- Superior hearing protection: Offers an effective Noise Reduction Rating (NRR).
- Comfortable design: Soft padding and adjustable headband for extended wear.
- Battery-dependent: Frequent use may require regular battery changes.
- Size and Weight: Some may find them slightly bulky.
Concluding, the Walker’s Razor Quad Electronic Muffs are a perfect blend of premium sound quality, efficient hearing protection, and comfort. The minor drawbacks are far outweighed by their benefits, making them a highly recommended purchase for outdoor sound amplification.
Customer Opinions: These muffs work great for communicating and shooting with friends. I particularly like the Bluetooth features that allow me to connect to my phone for calls and to listen to music when I’m by myself or simply sitting and observing others at the shooting range. See More
3. 3M Pro-Protect
Experience the best of technology and safety with the 3M Pro-Protect + Gel Cushions Electronic Hearing Protector. Integrated with Bluetooth Wireless Technology, it seamlessly connects with your devices offering top-notch sound quality. The Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 26 dB effectively guards your hearing against loud, harmful sounds, making it ideal for noisy environments.
- Exceptional Protection: With an NRR of 26 dB, it provides outstanding protection in high-noise situations.
- Comfortable Wear: The gel cushions ensure a comfortable fit, suitable for long hours of usage.
- Bluetooth Connectivity: Allows effortless pairing with devices for entertainment or communication.
- Size: The medium size may not fit everyone perfectly. Check the sizing guide before purchasing.
- Price: Slightly on the higher end of the price spectrum.
To conclude, the 3M Pro-Protect + Gel Cushions Electronic Hearing Protector is an excellent blend of protection and technology. Its few drawbacks are overshadowed by the superior comfort and functionality it provides. A worthwhile investment for your hearing health!
Customer Opinions: It is very comfortable and with great sound. I use it daily at my work where is very loud noise (timber factory). It connects easily and I can receive my phone calls also while listening to podcasts. See More
4. Best Value for Money: PROHEAR 056 30dB Highest NRR Electronic Shooting Ear Protection Muffs
The PROHEAR 056 Electronic Shooting Ear Protection Muffs are a fantastic choice for ensuring optimal auditory protection during shooting activities. This product is well known for its sound amplification of up to 4 times and a remarkable 30dB noise reduction ratio (NRR), allowing you to discern important noises while also protecting your ears from harmful gunshot sounds. The ear muffs offer outstanding comfort, durability, and compactness for ease of transport, all features ideal for hunting, airsoft, and gun range activities.
- High Noise Reduction Rating: The 30dB NRR shields your ears from damaging loud sounds.
- Advanced Sound Amplification: This feature helps to pick up important sounds in your environment.
- Versatility: Suitable for hunting, airsoft, and time at the gun range.
- Might be bulky for some: Despite the compact design, some users may still find the muffs somewhat cumbersome.
- Potential Feedback Issue: Some users may experience occasional feedback whistling.
In conclusion, the PROHEAR 056 Ear Protection Muffs deliver an impressive combination of noise reduction and sound amplification, providing both protection and enhanced situational awareness. Its minor drawbacks should not overshadow its major benefits.
Customer Opinions: These are very comfortable to wear. They nicely fit over the earpiece of your eye protection. The volume control is very easy to operate. Great hearing protection for all loud environments. See More
The Walker’s Razor Slim delivers exemplary functionality, combining the much-needed features of sound amplification and hearing protection. The design, specifically crafted for rugged environments, ensures durability even under challenging circumstances. Its easy-to-use controls further enhance the user-friendly aspect of the product, making it a top choice for various outdoor activities. And let’s not forget, this device even lets you listen to your favorite music, adding to its overall appeal.
- Exceptional sound amplification and hearing protection: Ideal for noisy environments, it protects hearing without compromising on audio quality.
- Rugged design: This durable, weather-resistant design holds up even in tough conditions.
- Easy-to-use controls: Uncomplicated functions for a hassle-free user experience.
- Music-friendly: An excellent feature for those who enjoy music while out and about.
- Audio Quality: Although adequate, the sound quality when listening to music may not meet the standards of an audiophile.
- Bulky Design: Some users might find the product slightly bulkier than anticipated, affecting portability.
In conclusion, the Walker’s Razor Slim excels in providing functional and durable hearing protection, whilst facilitating sound amplification. Its ability to let users enjoy music is a splendid addition, though the product could benefit from slight improvements in audio quality and design aesthetics.
Customer Opinions: wasn’t sure how or if this would work but it does You can hear people talking around you but it cancels out the gunfire. i mean you can still hear the shots but they are very muffled Also these are the most comfortable I’ve ever worn. See More
6. ACT FIRE Elite
ACT FIRE Elite is undoubtedly the best choice for anyone seeking top-notch fire safety equipment. This remarkable product boasts a plethora of features that make it stand out in the market.
- SHOOTING EARBUDS—Actfire earbuds are an in-ear device with both sound pickup and noise reduction. These functions work together to amplify quieter sounds like talking, while reducing loud sounds when shooting and hunting. Compared with traditional shooting earmuffs, a single shooting earplug weighs only 0.27 ounces, which is more lightweight, breathable and comfortable to wear. And comes with a charging compartment, which can be used 24 hours a day, perfect for a day of shooting activities.
- DURABLE—The headset can be used for a minimum of 8 hours and a maximum of 13 hours. The battery save function will automatically turn off the headset after 2 hours of standby. The charging case provides 24 hours of use when fully charged, so the headset can be charged 3 times. More breathable than headphones. The lightweight design of the electronic shooter earbuds allows you to take them anywhere, just keep them in your pocket. They combine compatibility, portability and comfort.
- TWO NOISE REDUCTION MODES—The electronic earbuds have two noise reduction modes; indoor mode and outdoor mode. These modes effectively reduce echo and reverberation, and can be easily switched to best suit your environment. Compared with other earbuds, the actfire earbuds pay more attention to professionalism, the mode is simple, and it quickly enters the shooting hearing protection mode. In shooting, button operation is more convenient than touch operation.
- 23NRR Noise Reduction Rating
- 0.2 Second Cutoff
- Two Recessed Omni-directional MicrophonesLow Profile Earcups
- Sound Dampening Composite Housing with Folding Design
- Runs on 2 AAA batteries (not included)
- Audio Input Jack-3.5mm
- One-handed volume adjustment
- Sound Activated Compression
- Full-motion HD speakers
- Comfort Headband with Metal Wire Frame
- Cutting-Edge Technology: The ACT FIRE Elite harnesses state-of-the-art technology to detect fires swiftly and accurately, ensuring your safety.
- Reliability: Its dependable performance guarantees peace of mind, while its long-lasting battery life keeps you protected day and night.
- Ease of Installation: Setting up the ACT FIRE Elite is a breeze, thanks to its user-friendly design.
- Sleek Design: Its modern and sleek aesthetic blends seamlessly into any environment.
- Pricey: It’s on the higher end of the price spectrum, but the quality justifies the cost.
- Limited Availability: Availability may be limited in some regions.
Customer Opinions: Honestly for the price I was a little suspicious. Other headphones going for hundreds of dollars. Went to the range and after the first couple rounds and being able to so easily talk to my friends around me I highly recommend these. If you a target or competition shooter on a budget these are the way to go. See More
In conclusion, the ACT FIRE Elite is an excellent investment in your safety. Its cutting-edge technology, reliability, and ease of use make it the best choice for fire protection. Don’t compromise on safety – choose ACT FIRE Elite.
7. Peltor Sport Tactical 100 Electronic Hearing Protector, Ear Protection, NRR 22 dB, Ideal for the Range, Shooting, and Hunting
- NRR: 22 dB noise reduction rating
- IDEAL FOR both indoor and outdoor shooters and hunters
- VARIABLE SUPPRESSION TIME reduces echoes indoors
- 22 dB Noise Reduction Rating (NRR)
- Re-engineered headband for comfort and fit
- Low-profile cups for rifle/shotgun use
- Durable, recessed microphones to reduce wind noise
- 2-hour auto shut-off and low battery indicator
- Easy-access battery door with tether (Runs on 2 AAA batteries)
- 3.5 mm audio input jack compatible with most MP3 and 2-way radios
- Outstanding noise reduction
- Versatile for multiple outdoor activities
- Comfortable and adjustable fit
- Easy-to-use controls
- Batteries required (may need frequent replacement)
- Limited noise amplification
Customer Opinions: This is the second pair of Peltor hearing protection I’ve had. They are comfortable and the spoken sound quality is good. The 300 comes with gel ear pads which my older ones did not have. For the price, it’s a good option. See More
Conclusion: The Peltor Sport Tactical 100 Electronic Hearing Protector is a top-tier choice for anyone looking to protect their ears during shooting, hunting, or range practice. With its exceptional noise reduction, comfort, and versatility, it’s a must-have accessory for outdoor enthusiasts. While battery life could be improved, the overall positive feedback from customers speaks volumes about its quality and performance. Don’t compromise on your hearing protection; choose the Peltor Sport Tactical 100 for a safe and enjoyable shooting experience.
Tips for Buying Headphones and Other Electronic Ear Muffs
There are a few things to keep in mind while shopping for electronic ear protection. Some essential considerations are as follows:
1. Reputation of the Brand
Think of well-known, long-lasting manufacturers. Earplugs from reputable brands often have high-quality construction and components.
2. The Noise Reduction Rating (NRR)
Hearing protection products are evaluated for their ability to lessen occupational noise exposure using a standardized scale called the Noise Reduction Rating (NRR). In accordance with OSHA regulations, the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) conducts the necessary tests and grants approval.
The NRR is a measurement of how much noise is reduced by the earplugs.
When buying earplugs, it’s advised that you opt for ones with a noise reduction rating of at least 22. An NRR of 30 is preferable, however, for individuals whose weapons are both noisier and greater in size.
Minimum NRR values for sufficient protection, depending on the kind of firearm used, are as follows.
|Large-bore handguns and long guns||25|
|Large caliber handguns, shotguns, and long guns||27|
|Small caliber handguns||22|
Using NRR 22 headphones with a big caliber pistol is not dangerous in and of itself, but for extra safety or during extended shooting sessions, it is recommended to consider doubling up on hearing protection to improve the total NRR rating.
3. Sound Amplification
Electronic hearing protection may magnify subtle sounds like conversations and background noise, making for a more enjoyable shooting experience. It is suggested that a device with a least 15 DBS sound amplification capabilities be used. This will shield your ears from harmful noises without compromising your ability to hear vital information.
4. Comfortable Fit
For long-term usage, the ear protection equipment must be comfortable to avoid fatigue. Here are several comfort factors:
Use ear protection with well-padded, ergonomic ear cups. These should seal the ears comfortably, reducing pressure points and facilitating long-term usage.
Choose gadgets with adjustable headbands that match your head size and shape. A secure and comfortable fit prevents the gadget from sliding or creating pain.
The weight of the ear protection device is important, particularly if you use it for lengthy durations. Lighter gadgets might be more comfortable and neck-straining.
Breathability: Some ear protection devices use breathable materials or venting mechanisms to reduce heat buildup and improve airflow, improving comfort during long usage.
5. Battery Life
Battery life matters when picking the finest electronic ear protection. It indicates whether the gadget can run on one battery or two.
- Different electronic ear protection devices have different battery lives based on the batteries used (rechargeable or disposable) and the device’s capabilities (amplification, noise reduction, etc.).
- Rechargeable batteries are reusable and cost-effective. Consider the charging time and convenience of the gadget.
- Disposable batteries are simple to replace, but spares are needed for extended activity.
- Find electronic ear protection with a battery life that suits you. Consider the manufacturer’s projected operating time and user evaluations or product specs for battery performance.
6. Power Cutoff Indicator
Electronic earplugs with an automated shut-off option are a better choice because of how convenient and effective they are.
When the gadget is not subjected to any very loud sounds for an extended length of time, it enters sleep mode. When an event is detected, it will immediately go into a power-saving standby mode.
The need to keep an eye on the gadget and manually switch it off is reduced when an automated shut-off function is included. This keeps the earplugs charged and ready for use at all times and avoids wasting power.
Think about how long you typically use your headphones or earbuds when choosing an electronic type. While some electronics power down after a few minutes of idleness, others may take many hours to do so.
The durability of an earplug is measured by how well it holds up under stress from repeated uses, hard handling, and the elements.
Look for ear protection equipment constructed from materials that can withstand repeated usage without breaking or degrading, including reinforced plastics or metals. You should look for earplugs with water and dust resistance if you plan on wearing them outside or in a rough setting. The inside components of several types of ear protection are strengthened or cushioned to better survive accidental drops or impacts.
For an idea of the product’s longevity, check out customer reviews. Suggestions from seasoned shooters may help determine how well a product performs in the field.
Find out whether there is a guarantee or warranty on the goods. Having a warranty shows that the firm stands behind its product and gives you peace of mind that it will last.
Best Electronic Ear Protection For Shooting FAQs
Why is it important to wear ear protection when shooting?
Shooting a firearm can cause immediate and permanent hearing loss and can damage your vision. Shooting a firearm creates a loud noise. To protect your hearing, always wear properly fitting ear protection. For target practice, use an earplug or earmuff (or both) with a high Noise Reduction Rating (NRR).
Are electronic ear muffs good for shooting?
Over-the-ear electronic muffs tend to have a slimmer profile than traditional over-the-ear muffs. This is really advantageous when shooting long guns because slimmer electronic ear protection is less likely to obstruct your cheek weld.
What is the best hearing protection rating?
NRR Ratings, The highest NRR rating for earplugs is 33, and the highest available NRR rating for earmuffs is 31. These values reflect the level of noise protection available for each device when worn alone. Combining earplugs with earmuffs can offer an NRR protection level of 36
What kind of ear protection is used for shooting?
A product with a 28 to 31 NRR is recommended for indoor shooting. There are two different kinds of hearing protection, ear plugs and ear muffs. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health actually recommends using both earplugs and earmuffs together when shooting.
What are effective hearing protectors?
Examples include formable foam earplugs, pre-molded earplugs, canal caps, and safety earmuffs. “Musician earplugs” are custom-made earplug molds intended to protect hearing while also allowing as much natural sound as possible to safely enter the ear.
In conclusion, for both shooter safety and efficiency, it is essential to use high-quality electronic ear protection. We have reviewed the best models on the market and taken into account important factors such as superior noise-canceling technology, comfort, and sound amplification. Everyone, from novices to seasoned shooters, should have access to high-quality electronic ear protection.
Prioritizing hearing protection allows you to completely enjoy shooting while reducing the likelihood of permanent hearing loss from gunshots. We hope you’ve found this information helpful in narrowing down your options for electronic ear protection to something that works for your requirements and tastes. Here are some of the finest electronic ear protection options for the range.
- Howard Leight provides electronic earplugs that block out unwanted sounds and are custom-fit to the wearer’s ears.
- With ACT FIRE, you can fine-tune your shooting experience with custom amplification and volume levels.
- The patented technology of Peltor Sport Tactical reduces dangerous gunshot noise while boosting inaudible noises, allowing for superior hearing protection and effective communication.
We trust that you will find this data to be very useful in determining which solution best meets your needs. Please use the comments area to ask questions or request clarification.
- Best invisible earbuds most loved
- Best invisible earbuds and best sellers
- Best invisible earbuds experts choice
- Way Choose AirPods Pro ear tips and the Ear Tip Fit Test